When you’re making a big purchase like a new garage door, it helps to have the guidance of someone who knows what they’re talking about.
You wouldn’t go to a boat salesman and ask him how to help you choose the right wallpaper, would you?
A garage door is a purchase that you’ll most likely only make once or twice in your life, so you want to make sure you have all the information you need to make a good choice.
Your best bet is to seek the guidance of a qualified, experienced garage door company.
Look for a company that has a team of people who know their stuff and can help you get exactly what you need.
Qualities to look for
How do you know that you’ve found a reputable company to work with?
They’ll have these qualities:
- A good reputation. They’ll be happy to provide references when you ask.
- Credentials. Check out websites that rate companies, such as Angie’s List or the Better Business Bureau. The garage door company’s rating through these sites will give you some information you can trust.
- Experience. Try to find out when the company was started and verify that they have been in business for a sufficient amount of time.
- Insured. Sometimes accidents happen. Working with a garage door company that’s insured is a safety net for you. If something were to go wrong, the company will fix it for no charge.
- Give free quotes. A reputable company will be happy to give you a free quote!
- Guarantees. This one isn’t a deal-breaker, but it’s a nice plus. It doesn’t hurt to ask! Some companies will offer a guarantee that covers the installation of the door, while others can connect you with a manufacturer that offers a stellar warranty. You know you’re getting a great deal if you find a company that offers both!
One of the first decisions your garage door experts will help you navigate is if you’d like to have a door that is stock, semi-custom, or custom.
Here’s the lowdown on what those terms refer to so you’ll be in the know for your first meeting with your garage door company.
A stock door is a garage door that doesn’t have any of the bells and whistles. It won’t have any panel design or even any glass. Each upgrade you make will be adding on to the cost of your garage door. The finished cost can range greatly, from low to high, all dependent on the various elements you add to your door.
This is a step up from the basic stock doors.
At this level, you’ll have the chance to choose different panel styles, designs, and glass inserts.
You’ll be given a range of different styles to choose from in order to craft the garage door that is the best fit for your home.
There are more wood choices available and six different panel designs from which to pick, as well as the capability to choose the color you want.
Semi-custom steel doors come ready to paint.
If you’re looking for the cream of the crop, this is it!
Deciding on a custom door will allow you to have custom colors and finishes, but that’s not all.
You can have panel designs or grooved panel faces, insulation and top-notch materials.
If you decide on a door in this category, you’ll most likely receive a very generous warranty.
Once you’re ready to move forward with your door-buying process, it’ll be helpful for you to have an idea if you’re interested in a stock, semi-custom, or a custom door.
When you’ve chosen a garage door company that has a solid reputation, and is credentialed, insured, and experienced, you can trust that they’ll be able to smoothly guide you through the planning and buying process.
What’s the most important quality you look for when finding a company to work with?