Choosing a Garage Door Company: Honesty is the Best Policy
You’ve probably had at least one experience in your life with an over-the-top salesperson who turned you off with his overly-enthusiastic toothy smiles.
You know the type. They shake your hand and slap you on the back as if they’ve known you since you were knee-high to a grasshopper.
They don’t necessarily give off a trustworthy vibe. In fact, they usually make you feel like making a fast getaway.
When you’re in the market for a garage door, the last people you want to work with are the shysters we just described.
It’s a big, important purchase that’s going to cost you a significant amount of money.
It’s also a purchase that is probably going to involve a long-term relationship with whatever company you choose to work with.
Let’s go over some of the characteristics you should look for in a trustworthy garage door company.
One of the quickest ways to tell a company may not be as good as it seems is the degree to which they will answer your questions and give your information.
Here are two specific areas in which a company should be willing to share with you:
- When you ask for references the company should be forthcoming and ready to connect you with a list of satisfied customers that you can talk with.
- The information they give you about pricing should be straightforward. A trustworthy company will explain each expenditure upfront, letting you know what you’re getting for the price you’re paying and what’s included and not included.
- The process should be simplified. The company you work with should be able to explain what the buying process entails – from start to finish – and they will be happy to answer all your questions to make sure you understand.
A polished website
A great looking website alone isn’t enough to prove a garage door company is reputable, but a reliable company will most likely have one – to help walk you through the process of buying a garage door.
Here are some handy tools and information that a garage door company’s website should have:
- A blog. A blog provides a wealth of information! You’ll find articles about a wide range of topics pertaining to choosing a garage door, styles, purchasing and much more.
- A garage door builder tool. This helpful tool allows you to put in the dimensions of the door you need and then lets you “build” the door you want from that. It’s an excellent way to get an idea of the decisions that you’ll need to make and all the options that are available to you.
- Details about the styles, materials, and types of garage doors that are available. You can find out the pros and cons of different garage door materials, as well as descriptions of each.
- Pricing data. This one’s pretty straightforward. Various materials and options will have different costs.
- Clear contact information. You shouldn’t have to search to find a way to get in touch with the company.
You need to be confident that the people who are working in and around your home are not a danger to you and your family. A reputable company will perform background checks on the workers they employ.
Another safety concern is building codes and rules. The company you work with should have a knowledge of the laws that are in effect for your area. A mistake in this area could have costly consequences.
Don’t trust a purchase this big with such far-reaching consequences to just anyone. Make sure the company you’re choosing to work with is transparent, safe, and has an information-packed online presence.
A company that makes you feel at ease and confident in the process will be a great choice to partner with as you move through the new garage door purchasing procedure.
What characteristic makes you feel good about working with a company?